We at LivOliv don’t agree with the use of harsh, toxic chemicals in nail polish (or indeed any cosmetics for that matter!), especially when there are better non toxic alternatives available. All our nail polishes are free from the five worst toxic chemicals commonly used in other brands of nail polish. This is commonly referred to as being 5-FREE.
‘5-Free’ means the product is free from these five very nasty chemicals:
- Toluene is a liquid solvent used as a nail polish thinner – that smells just like paint thinner. Which can make you feel dizzy & sick. It is also a skin irritant and may cause liver damage as well as fetal development damage to unborn babies. This chemical is derived from petroleum. Our alternative? Ethyl Acetate, which is Non-Toxic & also Vegan.
- Formaldehyde is a chemical commonly used to preserve dead humans & animals. It’s vapours are irritating and can allegedly cause asthma. Formaldehyde is a known human carcinogen – a factor directly involved in causing cancer.
- Formaldehyde resin is derived from formaldehyde. It’s not as toxic or harmful, but can still be an allergen. This chemical is mainly used in the production of adhesives.
- DBP is a commonly used plasticiser that has been linked to cancer, and is also found to be connected to birth defects. This toxin was actually added to the California Proposition 65 list of suspected teratogens (agents which cause malformation of an embryo).
- Camphor is a poison, plasticiser, and rust repellent. Enough exposure to it can cause seizures and disorientation. This chemical acts as a cover on your nails, which causes that yellow staining, as it prevents them from receiving essential natural vitamins from sunlight and oxygen.
Why are these chemicals even around? Why are they being used in nail polish and other cosmetics by other brands? Because they’re cheap, they’re easy to source, and they do the job quickly!
LivOliv are passionate about making products which are kinder to your skin and better for your health. But we won’t compromise on quality either. There’s no need to when you can create a quality product without using any of the above nasties.
LivOliv are proud to provide you with quality cosmetics using Non-Toxic, Cruelty-Free and Vegan ingredients.
The LivOliv Team x